Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Twitter Art Show: Grandon Art Gallery




We have a show! In September, Grandon Art Gallery in Flagstaff, AZ will be showing Twitter 140! I spoke with David Grandon the gallery owner yesterday via telephone. He just wrote me an email to confirm the dates and supply additional information:

“The opening of the show will be the September 4th, the First Friday of the Month (coinciding with our artwalk. The music will be a small percussion section of our Symphony featuring a couple of steel drums!
I would love to have the work as early as possible (I can store it in the gallery no problemo) but would like the work here by the last week of August. I am used to hanging work the day of the show but like to avoid it if possible!). My address gallery is:



The Grandon Art Gallery
20 N. Leroux
Flagstaff, AZ 86001



I am not particularly worried about agreement forms or contracts for a one month show. Besides your letter required the artist to provide their own insurance.
David”



Here are things to remember:

1. All work should be professionally presented and exhibition ready (wired, framed if necessary, no glass).

2. U.S. artists send work to Grandon Gallery to address stated above so it arrives no later than the last week of August. BE SURE to include a prepaid waybill (FedEx, UPS, etc.) for the return of unsold work. International artists can send the work to my studio (as discussed in my email sent to you earlier today.) You do NOT have to provide return shipping payment at this time. I will ship my work with international art together as a group via Fed EX and it will be all boxed together in the same container to be returned to my studio. (So it will be all together for our next show.) I need your work no later than August 24, 2009.

3. IMPORTANT: If you are sending two works, don’t forget to send me a photo of your second piece along with title, size, media, and price. I will add this information to our artist/price list database.

4. We are working on a press release. When it is done, I will share it with you. You can send it to your local press. This is a perfect time to “toot your own horn”!

5. I am assuming all artists will allow their artwork photos to be used for press purposes. If you do not want your photos used for show related publicity, speak up now.


OK. I think that is enough information for now!
If any of you have further questions, email me. :-)

7 comments:

a Cagey Bee said...

Great news! Couple of questions though...

1) No glass? I understand the risks & headaches of shipping framed artwork, but for works on paper, a good UV filtered glass is important for archival purposes. Dust, dirt, bugs & of course, sticky fingers can be a major problem at galleries.

I just finished a group show in a gallery space that had live painting events & one of the works being exhibited ended up with blobs of stray paint on it. The artist was understandably livid when her painting was ruined.

2) I don't feel comfortable just "not worrying" about agreement forms or contracts, especially in this economy. There have been several galleries that have gone out of business, taking the artwork with them when they closed up shop. A contract won't guarantee our artwork and/or money will be safe, but at least it gives us the option of filing as a creditor if need be.

I think it's important to clearly lay out the financial agreement - how & when money will be disbursed if any works are sold & so on.

Kris

Unknown said...

Brava Sheree, this is exciting!
I bet other galleries will want to join in the excitement of this timely show.
Many thanks for all you have done!
Best wishes,
Linda

Sheree Rensel said...

Kris,
When I said "no glass", I mean substitute plexi. If you ship glass, you might me very SORRY!! I know this to be true.
I will speak to David about financial arrangements. If you don't feel comfortable about the way things are right now, I am sorry. I am not sure I know what to do about that.

Sheree Rensel said...

Linda,
Thanks so much for your positive energy and input!
:-)

Unknown said...

This is great news! How many artists think they will go to Flagstaff for the opening? I would like to, if I can manage it -- never been to Arizona!

Sheree Rensel said...

John, I would LOVE to go to the opening. I have never been to Arizona either. However, my day job starts back up just before this. I can't go back to work and immediately take time off. That isn't possible. I do know Steve Lauman @Buffalokid will be there. He lives close by and suggested this gallery.
If you do go, take pics!! :-)

Sheree Rensel said...

Regarding the issue of financial agreements and consignment forms:

Our invitation to show at this gallery came fast and furiously. I am sure the Grandon Art Gallery has some kind of consignment form. If not, Linda Stillman has sent me a very nice form and offered it to us for our use. I will "personalize" it to reflect the form is for the TWITTER 140 exhibition.
Therefore, if any gallery doesn't have an agreement form. We will provide our own.
The Grandon Gallery is busy setting up their current event this week. I will speak with David next week about this issue.

:-)